Sunday, May 25, 2008

the music that sings to my soul


This turned out to be a pretty deep topic for me.... not stuff that I usually scrap about, but I love the way the page ended up. It's about how much meaning the contemporary Christian music that I listen to has for me. I used some hybrid techniques to put the lyrics to a current fave song on the larger photo, which I thought was just a beautiful "backdrop" for the beautiful song.

Journaling:
I have always found that certain songs really speak to me. As an adult, my musical tastes have shifted mostly away from mainstream music and into the genre of contemporary Christian artists. When I listen to this music, the songs I love don’t just get my foot tapping or make me want to sing along. They speak to me with a message that is so powerful, so awe-inspiring, that it can lift me up when I’m down, bring me comfort out of grief, and remind me of what is really important.

At different times, different songs have found their way to the top of my “favorites” list. When Mom died, songs like “Holding Me” by Pam Thum, and “Sometimes He Calms the Storm” by Scott Krippayne brought me immeasurable comfort and reminders of God’s presence through excruciatingly difficult times. When I’m feeling down on myself or like I just don’t measure up, a song like “Voice of Truth” by Casting Crowns can help turn around my attitude and remind me that God has faith in me, even when I don’t have faith in myself.

At the moment, my current favorites are songs that simply celebrate God’s goodness, His grace and mercy and remarkable love. Songs like “Indescribable” by Chris Tomlin, about how God’s grace and love is so great, there really aren’t even words to describe it; or “I Can Only Imagine” by Mercy Me, about the unimaginable glory of one day being in God’s presence.

Or, my current favorite song: “Who am I” by Casting Crowns. The powerful message of this song – that God knows me and sees what’s in my heart and loves me despite my shortcomings and failings – is so uplifting and beautiful that I can listen to it over and over and still feel the power of the words, every time.This is the music that doesn’t just fill my head and my heart and my voice. THIS is the music that sings to my soul.

Lyrics printed on the photo:
Who am I by Casting Crowns

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are

I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours

Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are

I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours

I am Yours
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
'Cause I am Yours
I am Yours

2 comments:

Rebecca K. said...

yes!! BEAUTIFUL layout, totally love it, and i agree with you 100%! i love the poetry in that song too

Christie said...

What a glorious layout!! From your photo and color choices to your journaling, lyrics and titling - all wonderful!!